Hoefler & Co. is always looking for great people.
You can learn a little of our story online. Poke around and you’ll find that we’re a well-respected industry leader, with twenty years’ work that includes some of the world’s most famous fonts — the ones that are part of the world’s most recognizable brands, its favorite things to read, and its most beloved institutions. Dig deeper and you’ll discover some remarkable things that you never knew about fonts or the people who make them: that the Museum of Modern Art has four of our typefaces in its permanent collection, that our Gotham typeface was credited with helping put Barack Obama in the White House, and that Fast Company listed us third among the fifty most innovative design companies in America.
What you won’t discover is what it’s like to work here. What it’s like to be in the company of detail-oriented fanatics, who are passionate about every part of the customer experience, from the way a typeface is designed to the ways in which it’s licensed. To be part of a close-knit family of problem solvers who bring extraordinary heart to everything they do, and share in the delights of a clever piece of code, a smart turn of phrase, or a well-designed product. To work at a small company that has a global reach, but is refreshingly free of startup jitters and management fire drills. To work together to create the things that people truly love.
We’re always on the lookout for the right people to join us on the journey forward. (And not just typeface designers: two thirds of us are programmers, web developers, marketers, managers, and salespeople.) Whatever our specialties, what unites us is an obsession to bring fine design everywhere, from websites to mobile apps to eBooks and beyond. If these are your goals too, we’d like to hear from you.
Hoefler & Co. is looking for an software engineer to help us continue to develop our web services and cloud font delivery technology. We deliver our fonts to websites via a cloud-hosted font subscription service at http://cloud.typography.com and sell our fonts directly to customers on http://typography.com. We've been making fonts for 25 years and we continue to innovate with new ways to enjoy and experience beautiful type.
- Contributing to the development and evolution of Hoefler & Co. digital services as a Software Engineer
- Working collaboratively with other developers and UX designers every day
- Working with our Technical Director and other engineers to help implement new features and functionality
- Following Agile/SCRUM processes and standards for project development and quality assurance
- Writing clean, commented, well-documented code and test cases
- Demonstrate proficiency in using source control and common branching strategies
- A laid-back office environment with excellent working hours in a great part of New York City
- Excellent benefits
- "Summer Days" - Half-days on Friday throughout the summer
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York office, open to US citizens or those with authorization to work in the US.
- You have professional experience developing in a backend web stack - preferably LAMP or with the ability to quickly pick up LAMP
- You’re familiar with functional and unit testing and have developed test cases
- You have worked on secure web applications with eCommerce and integrated third-party services via RESTful API's
- You love writing (and reading) clean, commented and maintainable code
- You're able to create thorough test coverage and effectively use git
- Experience working on Amazon Web Services (AWS) - specifically S3, RDS and EC2
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience in other languages such as Python, Ruby or Java
Please send a letter and résumé to Jimmy Mooney at firstname.lastname@example.org. You’re welcome to include any other material that you feel distinguishes you as a candidate.
Hoefler & Co. is located in New York’s historic NoHo neighborhood, in The Cable Building at the corner of Broadway and Houston.
We’re near twelve subway lines: the B, D, F and M at Broadway-Lafayette, the 6 at Bleecker Street, the N and R at Prince Street, the C and E at Spring Street, and the J, Q, and Z at Canal Street.
NoHo and its surrounding neighborhoods — SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side, the East Village, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village — are home to some of the city’s finest architecture, its best coffeeshops, and its most sought-after food trucks.
Hoefler & Co.
611 Broadway, Room 725
New York, NY 10012-2608