H&FJ is always looking for great people.
You can learn a little of our story online. Poke around and you’ll find that H&FJ is a well-respected industry leader, with twenty years’ work that includes some of the world’s most famous fonts — the ones that are part of the world’s most recognizable brands, its favorite things to read, and its most beloved institutions. Dig deeper and you’ll discover some remarkable things that you never knew about fonts or the people who make them: that the Museum of Modern Art has four H&FJ typefaces in its permanent collection, that our Gotham typeface was credited with helping put Barack Obama in the White House, and that Fast Company listed H&FJ third among the fifty most innovative design companies in America.
What you won’t discover is what it’s like to work at H&FJ. What it’s like to be in the company of detail-oriented fanatics, who are passionate about every part of the customer experience, from the way a typeface is designed to the ways in which it’s licensed. To be part of a close-knit family of problem solvers who bring extraordinary heart to everything they do, and share in the delights of a clever piece of code, a smart turn of phrase, or a well-designed product. To work at a small company that has a global reach, but is refreshingly free of startup jitters and management fire drills. To work together to create the things that people truly love. (Here’s what they’re saying on Twitter right now.)
We’re always on the lookout for the right people to join us on the journey forward. (And not just typeface designers: two thirds of us are programmers, web developers, marketers, managers, and salespeople.) Whatever our specialties, what unites us is an obsession to bring fine design everywhere, from websites to mobile apps to eBooks and beyond. If these are your goals too, we’d like to hear from you.
H&FJ is looking for talented and clear-thinking programmers to help us develop our next generation of web applications.
As a company that develops font software, H&FJ serves two constituencies: the niche market of graphic designers who buy our fonts, and the boundless audience of people who experience our fonts on screen. Working with us will give you a chance to design tight, scalable, reliable, and secure solutions, to deploy them to one of the world’s largest distributed computing platforms, and to see them experienced billions of times a day. If you’re someone who’s both self-motivated and collaborative, eager to work with a small and passionate team (at a company that both understands and values solid engineering), and is ready to build public-facing tools that have a genuine impact on how the world communicates, read on.
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York office, open to US citizens or those with authorization to work in the US.
- Contribute to the design, development, and evolution of H&FJ’s web properties and applications
- Work collaboratively with developers and UX designers to help shape solutions that integrate new capabilities and technologies that support the company’s goals
- Make recommendations to refine existing services and create new ones
- Identify and evaluate appropriate front-end and back-end technologies and frameworks suitable for the delivery of new products and services
- Follow processes and standards for project development and quality assurance, to ensure that projects are completed in a timely and acceptable manner
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of standards, emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of current industry experience developing web applications using PHP and MySQL (LAMP environment), JS, jQuery
- Experience with PHP frameworks and/or content management platforms (Symfony, Zend, CakePHP, Drupal, etc.)
- Experience with processing distributable problems, using paradigms such as MapReduce and frameworks such as Hadoop
- Experience building security into web applications and integrating third-party APIs
- Experience with source control systems, and familiarity with dev/stage/prod release workflows
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and Python a plus
Please send a letter and résumé to Susan Fisher at email@example.com. You’re welcome to include any other material that you feel distinguishes you as a candidate.
Hoefler & Frere-Jones is located in New York’s historic NoHo neighborhood, in The Cable Building at the corner of Broadway and Houston.
We’re near twelve subway lines: the B, D, F and M at Broadway-Lafayette, the 6 at Bleecker Street, the N and R at Prince Street, the C and E at Spring Street, and the J, Q, and Z at Canal Street.
NoHo and its surrounding neighborhoods — SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side, the East Village, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village — are home to some of the city’s finest architecture, its best coffeeshops, and its most sought-after food trucks.
Hoefler & Frere-Jones
611 Broadway, Room 725
New York, NY 10012-2608