Hoefler & Co. is always looking for great people.
You can learn a little of our story online. Poke around and you’ll find that we’re a well-respected industry leader, with twenty years’ work that includes some of the world’s most famous fonts — the ones that are part of the world’s most recognizable brands, its favorite things to read, and its most beloved institutions. Dig deeper and you’ll discover some remarkable things that you never knew about fonts or the people who make them: that the Museum of Modern Art has four of our typefaces in its permanent collection, that our Gotham typeface was credited with helping put Barack Obama in the White House, and that Fast Company listed us third among the fifty most innovative design companies in America.
What you won’t discover is what it’s like to work here. What it’s like to be in the company of detail-oriented fanatics, who are passionate about every part of the customer experience, from the way a typeface is designed to the ways in which it’s licensed. To be part of a close-knit family of problem solvers who bring extraordinary heart to everything they do, and share in the delights of a clever piece of code, a smart turn of phrase, or a well-designed product. To work at a small company that has a global reach, but is refreshingly free of startup jitters and management fire drills. To work together to create the things that people truly love.
We’re always on the lookout for the right people to join us on the journey forward. (And not just typeface designers: two thirds of us are programmers, web developers, marketers, managers, and salespeople.) Whatever our specialties, what unites us is an obsession to bring fine design everywhere, from websites to mobile apps to eBooks and beyond. If these are your goals too, we’d like to hear from you.
Hoefler & Co. is looking for a talented developer to help us continue to develop our cloud font delivery technology. We deliver our fonts to websites via a cloud-hosted font subscription service at http://cloud.typography.com. We've been making fonts for twenty years and we continue to innovate with new ways to enjoy and experience beautiful type.
- Contributing to the development and evolution of Hoefler & Co. digital services as a senior-level Software Developer
- Working collaboratively with other developers and UX designers every day
- Working with our Technical Director to help identify and evaluate new back-end languages and technologies to push the envelope in our space
- Following Agile/SCRUM processes and standards for project development and quality assurance
- Writing clean, commented, well-documented code and test cases
- Having a strong opinion on source control and branching strategies, and enjoy defending them
- A laid-back office environment with excellent working hours in a great part of New York City
- Excellent benefits
- "Summer Days" - Half-days on Friday throughout the summer
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York office, open to US citizens or those with authorization to work in the US.
- You have professional experience developing in a LAMP stack
- Selenium WebDriver, Selenium Grid and PHPUnit are part of your everyday life
- You have developed secure web applications with eCommerce, integrated third-party services via RESTful API's and know when it's smart to use a CDN and when it isn't
- You love writing clean, commented and maintainable code
- You're able to create thorough test coverage and use source control
- Experience working on Amazon Web Services (AWS) - specifically S3, RDS and EC2 - and can discuss the plusses and minuses of these services in detail
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience writing Java services
- Experience in Hadoop for processing large amounts of log data using AWS EMR
- Experience in other languages such as Python and Ruby
- A string interest in design and user experience
Please send a letter and résumé to Jimmy Mooney at email@example.com. You’re welcome to include any other material that you feel distinguishes you as a candidate.
Hoefler & Co. is located in New York’s historic NoHo neighborhood, in The Cable Building at the corner of Broadway and Houston.
We’re near twelve subway lines: the B, D, F and M at Broadway-Lafayette, the 6 at Bleecker Street, the N and R at Prince Street, the C and E at Spring Street, and the J, Q, and Z at Canal Street.
NoHo and its surrounding neighborhoods — SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side, the East Village, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village — are home to some of the city’s finest architecture, its best coffeeshops, and its most sought-after food trucks.
Hoefler & Co.
611 Broadway, Room 725
New York, NY 10012-2608