Hoefler & Co. is always looking for great people.
You can learn a little of our story online. Poke around and you’ll find that we’re a well-respected industry leader, with twenty years’ work that includes some of the world’s most famous fonts — the ones that are part of the world’s most recognizable brands, its favorite things to read, and its most beloved institutions. Dig deeper and you’ll discover some remarkable things that you never knew about fonts or the people who make them: that the Museum of Modern Art has four of our typefaces in its permanent collection, that our Gotham typeface was credited with helping put Barack Obama in the White House, and that Fast Company listed us third among the fifty most innovative design companies in America.
What you won’t discover is what it’s like to work here. What it’s like to be in the company of detail-oriented fanatics, who are passionate about every part of the customer experience, from the way a typeface is designed to the ways in which it’s licensed. To be part of a close-knit family of problem solvers who bring extraordinary heart to everything they do, and share in the delights of a clever piece of code, a smart turn of phrase, or a well-designed product. To work at a small company that has a global reach, but is refreshingly free of startup jitters and management fire drills. To work together to create the things that people truly love.
We’re always on the lookout for the right people to join us on the journey forward. (And not just typeface designers: two thirds of us are programmers, web developers, marketers, managers, and salespeople.) Whatever our specialties, what unites us is an obsession to bring fine design everywhere, from websites to mobile apps to eBooks and beyond. If these are your goals too, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for smart and ambitious front-end developers who are ready to flex their muscles.
Our site and web apps serve a discerning audience of tech-savvy designers. We’re looking for developers who are up to the challenge of delivering thoughtful, intuitive, and delightful experiences to readers who appreciate the difference, and have come to expect the best. If you’re looking for an opportunity to do all the things you wish you could at your current job, to join a team of people who share your enthusiasm for what’s possible, and to work for a company that values invention, care, and getting it right, read on.
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York office, open to US citizens or those with authorization to work in the US.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Industry experience developing with tools like SASS, Webpack, Gulp/Grunt and Backbone
- Strong command of web standards, responsive and adaptive design, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation, optimization techniques, dynamic content retrieval, state management, and techniques for accessibility and device-portability
- Experience writing sustainable code with test coverage, using Git for source control
- At least 3 years of professional development experience working on a team
- Contribute to the development and evolution of Hoefler & Co. web properties and applications
- Make recommendations for refining existing services and creating new ones, in order to address changes in standards, customer expectations, behavior patterns, and best practices
- Identify and evaluate appropriate front-end technology and conventions suitable for the delivery of new products and services
- Commit to agile processes for project development and QA to ensure that work is done well and completed on time
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of standards, emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices
- Working with a great group of creative and technical individuals
- Summer Fridays - every Friday in the summer is a company half-day
- A fantastic office space in the NoHo district of New York City
- A comprehensive benefits package
Please send a letter and resume to Jimmy Mooney at email@example.com. You’re welcome to include any other material that you feel distinguishes you as a candidate.
Hoefler & Co. is located in New York’s historic NoHo neighborhood, in The Cable Building at the corner of Broadway and Houston.
We’re near twelve subway lines: the B, D, F and M at Broadway-Lafayette, the 6 at Bleecker Street, the N and R at Prince Street, the C and E at Spring Street, and the J, Q, and Z at Canal Street.
NoHo and its surrounding neighborhoods — SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side, the East Village, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village — are home to some of the city’s finest architecture, its best coffeeshops, and its most sought-after food trucks.
Hoefler & Co.
611 Broadway, Room 725
New York, NY 10012-2608