Hoefler & Co. is always looking for great people.
You can learn a little of our story online. Poke around and you’ll find that we’re a well-respected industry leader, with twenty years’ work that includes some of the world’s most famous fonts — the ones that are part of the world’s most recognizable brands, its favorite things to read, and its most beloved institutions. Dig deeper and you’ll discover some remarkable things that you never knew about fonts or the people who make them: that the Museum of Modern Art has four of our typefaces in its permanent collection, that our Gotham typeface was credited with helping put Barack Obama in the White House, and that Fast Company listed us third among the fifty most innovative design companies in America.
What you won’t discover is what it’s like to work here. What it’s like to be in the company of detail-oriented fanatics, who are passionate about every part of the customer experience, from the way a typeface is designed to the ways in which it’s licensed. To be part of a close-knit family of problem solvers who bring extraordinary heart to everything they do, and share in the delights of a clever piece of code, a smart turn of phrase, or a well-designed product. To work at a small company that has a global reach, but is refreshingly free of startup jitters and management fire drills. To work together to create the things that people truly love.
We’re always on the lookout for the right people to join us on the journey forward. (And not just typeface designers: two thirds of us are programmers, web developers, marketers, managers, and salespeople.) Whatever our specialties, what unites us is an obsession to bring fine design everywhere, from websites to mobile apps to eBooks and beyond. If these are your goals too, we’d like to hear from you.
Project Manager at Hoefler & Co.
H&Co has an opportunity for a clear-thinking, well-organized individual who’s demonstrated a keen ability to juggle multiple schedules, deadlines, requirements, and personalities. As our Project Manager, you’ll be instrumental in helping our technology and type design teams deliver high quality products on time.
This position is perfect for someone who loves technology but isn’t an engineer. Someone who is very organized and a great time manager. Candidates should have experience developing and managing project plans, analyzing team performance to adjust process, and working in an agile development environment (experience with the Kanban method is preferred). To succeed at this role you must be someone who’s conversant with how technology works (you can define HTML, CSS, and API, and know how they work together at a high level).
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York office, open to US citizens or those with authorization to work in the US.
- You thrive off thoughtful planning, problem solving, and multitasking
- You have extraordinary communication and interpersonal skills, and you’re able to work with multiple stakeholders at various levels and disciplines
- You are inherently curious, you’re a fast learner, and you’re motivated to have a deep understanding of the projects you’re working on
- You are adept at developing and building relationships
- You are comfortable gathering and using data to make decisions
- You can effectively prioritize amongst conflicting demands
- You have excellent written and presentation skills, and a knack for describing technical information simply and without jargon
If you join our team, your essential duties will be:
- Being the point of communication and coordination between the marketing, business, type, and development teams
- Developing and maintaining the master project plans and schedules
- Facilitating the agile process using Kanban
- Keeping tabs on what’s going on in the business and helping to eliminate roadblocks
- Assisting the Product Manager and Technology Director with the development and design teams’ scheduling and prioritization
- Providing high-level status updates and recommendations to management
Applicants should contact H&Co’s Technology Director, Jimmy Mooney, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A short, thoughtful, non-generic note, with a link to your résumé is a great start.
Hoefler & Co. is located in New York’s historic NoHo neighborhood, in The Cable Building at the corner of Broadway and Houston.
We’re near twelve subway lines: the B, D, F and M at Broadway-Lafayette, the 6 at Bleecker Street, the N and R at Prince Street, the C and E at Spring Street, and the J, Q, and Z at Canal Street.
NoHo and its surrounding neighborhoods — SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side, the East Village, Chinatown, and Greenwich Village — are home to some of the city’s finest architecture, its best coffeeshops, and its most sought-after food trucks.
Hoefler & Co.
611 Broadway, Room 725
New York, NY 10012-2608